Eph 4:29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those that hear.
Websters 1828 Dictionary
Edification
1. A building up, in a moral and religious sense; instruction; improvement and progress of the mind, in knowledge, in morals, or in faith and holiness.
2. Instruction; improvement of the mind in any species of useful knowledge.
This verse convicts me. Let no unwholesome word proceed from my mouth. I know that every word that proceeds from my mouth is not always wholesome. But, thank the Lord, He pours out His forgiveness and mercy upon me. He is working on me (it is called sanctification).
I want to share this with you.
People are confusing sometimes - especially when they talk about God and how He operates (and use those big words like sanctification).
This is one of the things the Lord used to draw me to himself. I asked someone what made them decide to home school their kids. The very simple reply I got was "When the Lord laid it on our hearts', we wouldn't have it any other way." Period. That is all the lady said.
What in the world did that mean? "God laid it on my heart."? What does that mean anyway? I didn't know. I didn't know anybody I could ask without looking like a complete idiot. Who wants to look like a complete idiot when it comes to God? Nobody wants to ask those questions and get a look that says, "YOU go to church, and YOU don't know what it means for God to lay something on your heart? Where have you been during the sermon?"
Then I started to ask myself questions. "Why am I home schooling my kids? Is it because I want to or because God wants me to? How do I even find out if God wants me to home school? How is He going to lay it on my heart? How will I know? How will I know for SURE? Who exactly is God anyway?"
Then God started to teach me who He is according to His word.
He started with a simple little answer to a simple little question and used a simple little person. This person probably didn't realize the impact her words had on me that day. I am sure she wasn't trying to edify me with her words, but God used her words to edify me. He has 'improved and progressed my mind, in knowledge, in morals, and in faith and holiness'. Thank you Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment