This is a kind of thrown together sauce and we happened to like it and I tried to remember what I put in it. Then I wrote it down one day and have made it over and over. So, I know this one is a keeper in my book.
Sauce:
4 cans of diced tomatoes
3 little cans of tomato paste
1 1/2 cans of tomato sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 Tablespoon of chili powder
1 Tablespoon of minced onions
1 Tablespoon of Italian seasoning
4 Jars of blended spaghetti sauce (whatever you like, roasted garlic, mushroom, etc.)
5 lbs. of browned ground beef
You must let this simmer together for about 1 hour. This makes all the flavors blend well.
Cook your noodles!!! Do not put them in your lasagna uncooked! Cook the noodles according to the directions on the side of the box. If you happen to know how to make your own noodles, then I think it is safe to assume you know how to cook them too.
In a huge bowl, grate up these cheeses: 8 oz. mozzarella, 8 oz. Parmesan, 8 oz. mild or sharp cheddar, 8 oz. Romano - mix them together well.
It is very important that you buy these in whole blocks of cheese and grate them up yourself. You will be happy that you did when that ooey gooey yumminess hits your taste buds. Plus the already grated bagged cheese has sawdust in it to keep it 'fresh'.
Layer in a 9x13 baking dish: Sauce, Noodles, Cheese, Sauce, Noodles, Cheese. The last layer of cheese should cover the noodles completely or the noodles will get super crunchy and super crunchy noodles do not make a yummy lasagna.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until the cheese has little brown bubbles on top.
Enjoy!
Someone asked me about the spaghetti sauce. This recipe makes enough for about 5 lasagnas. I make a ton because it seems to take up a lot of time to make it. I freeze it in containers until I am ready to make the next lasagna.
ReplyDelete